How are y’all doing? I’m totally ready for St. Simon’s Island, iced tea, and super hot, humid weather already! It hasn’t been cold here that long but, oh my stars, I am done with the dry skin, itchy skin, and alligator scales! The cold front last week caused all of those typical winter skin problems we all hate. I was in need of a major skin care overhaul. Thankfully I found the best solution ever, and now, all I do is brag about my skin and the incredible work of Miss Karen!
After an amazing facial, I was able to leave with five amazing tips from Miss Karen of Miss Karen’s Skincare! She is an absolute dream; not only was it super fun, but she is also an RN, going on BSN, so she could explain everything to me from a medical perspective which I love- and I got to feel smarter when I left. Totally a win win!
This how to turn those winter skin problems around:
- For an extra layer of protection, add 2-5 drops of a facial oil, apply a balm or use a heavier moisturizer at night to hydrate your skin for the day. Your skin will absorb that oil and help hydrate at a deeper level.
- Switching your foaming cleanser to a gel or cream cleanser will help if your skin feels tight after washing.
- Heaters can dehydrate the skin by causing more (trans-epidermal-water-loss) aka TEWL. Using a humidifier where you use the heater the most will help combat the extra drying factor.
- Increasing salmon, almonds and olive oil or coconut oil to increase healthy fats are an easy way to that hydrate from within.Try this incredible salmon recipe. It’s always a great go to for dinner!
- Layer your products from lightest weight to heaviest weight. Example is apply water based-serums first, then gels, creams, oils and ointments last.
My skin is getting back to normal, and I am thrilled! If you’re in Austin, Miss Karen actually makes her own products for clients, it is absolutely worth a visit!
How are you handling the crazy weather changes and the effects on your skin?